Friday, June 11, 2010

Once a Driller, Always a Driller

I am the oldest of nine children - Alicia, Teresa, Laura, Jessica, Landon, Bryce, Evan, Tawna and Krista. Scott likes to show off my tricks to other people and has me show how fast I can say those names in order. Super fast. Our baby sister, Krista Colleen, graduated from high school on June 3. She was born right before my senior year. I left to college before she was even walking. And now she is almost 18 and done with high school. Wow!

My mom wanted all of the nine kids home for her graduation from Bakersfield High School. We all graduated from there and she was the last. So, we came from Utah, Georgia, New York, Arizona, San Diego for the big event. It was a blast. We were all there together (except poor Landon who had a new baby the day after) for graduation, to swim in the pool, to eat at our favorite spots and to lounge around mom and dad's house for a few days.

Jessica, Zach and I flew in on Wednesday and met Tawna, Laura and Blake for a day in Santa Monica. It felt so good to be on the beach and in the sun.This kid looks like he belongs on the beach just like his big cousin Blake.
Seriously some of the best gelato I've ever had. Over 100 flavors! I was in heaven . . . and I've been to Italy.
June 3 was the big day of graduation so we started with lunch out with everyone and then over to BHS in 93 degree heat . . . which, of course is cool for this time of year. Waiting . . . I'm not sure what Laura, Tawna and Evan were complaining about.
Zach's entertainment while we waited.
Krista pomping and circumstancing down the field.
This is a look of relief and happiness. No more "your child has been absent" phone calls. No more report card groundings. No more making sure kids are up at 5:30am for seminary. Etc. etc. etc. Yahoo!
The after party!Graduation was over and we were in the pool or eating the rest of the weekend. Can it get any better? "Bakersfield . . . life as it should be".DEWARS ICE CREAM. Black and whites for everyone.
Dad in a tube top prancing in the pool.
Ranch Market for some real Mexican food. As Dora says, "Delicioso!"
The day we left was Laura's birthday. I think we really gave her quite the birthday celebration by sitting with her in church and then packing up and leaving. Paaaarrtaaay! Happy Birthday Laura!And I came home to Scott and the girls waiting for me in the airport with this sign and balloons. So sweet. They had a great time at home with daddy fishing, swimming, going to parties, etc. I was glad to be back home with them.
Congratulations Krista!

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Great Post! You got a lot of good pictures I hadn't seen yet. The pool one is not the most flattering of us, but it is a cool picture. What an awesome weekend that was, and what a great feeling to have such wonderful siblings who are all doing great things with their lives. I love being with you all.
The signs from Scott and the girls are so cute. I bet they had a lot of fun making those.

Rama said...

What a great time you had. And little Zachary looks like he is really enjoying the whole experience and the attention. Congratulations to all the Allred graduates--and to mom and dad for raising such a wonderful family.

Kam said...

How fun!! I can hardly believe Krista is graduated!?! Wow! I REMEMBER little 2-year-old Krista when we first met at Ricks. Holy cow! Awesome matching Driller shirts. I bet your parents LOVE those pics, of all NINE of you together, ALL graduated! wahoo!

btw, I feel VERY underinformed... I really had NO idea this trip was happening, and that you were going without Scott and the girls. Really, you gotta TELL me these things. ;) The pool time looks perrrfect!

laura said...

For some reason, your new posts are not showing up on my sidebar. Imagine my delight when I happened upon this little beauty.
Great weekend. Great family. Great grad night. Great birthday.

As I haven't gotten around to it yet, is there any way I could just copy/paste this post onto my blog. You know... for posterity.

Aaron and Jen said...

Looks like so much fun! How neat that you could all get together for the event!

Sue said...

I love this post! It was an almost perfect weekend ( Landon missing)! Thanks for coming, everyone! Dads, thanks for babysitting!

Jeni said...

Can I please look as good as your mom after having nine kids??? Seriously! How in the world do they keep up with nine grown kids and their families? A full time job in and of itself! You have a neat family; I have always thought that as I've gotten to know them through your posts. :)