Our Sacrament Meeting Program was the week before Zach was born. That worked out well. It was GREAT! One of the counselors wrote it and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The talks by the children were wonderful and showed so much understanding and feeling. The songs were sung well and they really knew them. The props held by the sunbeams were a hit! At one point 3 sunbeams were holding tools made of cardboard and Brie was being hit on the head with a hammer by Marissa, Natalie was sawing the podium and Brie broke her wrench over the podium. So funny. I loved being a part of it all. We finished the program with the congregation joining us in singing "The Family Is Of God". This song is wonderful. Everyone was in tears. It really is a beautiful song and a very special Primary program.
As part of our program we showed the house that we built as a Primary. I'm including this picture for my sister-in-law, Laura, because she helped me brainstorm the idea. If anyone else is in primary, you might like to see it too. I noticed that in the months of June and July each Sharing Time focused on one principle that will help us have happier families. So, we built a "happy family home" block by block (computer paper boxes) each week. Each block represented each of those principles. We talked about that one principle in Sharing Time and then I sent the kids home with an index card asking how they lived that principle during the week. For example: Did you say your personal prayers every night this week? They could draw a picture or write how they did. Then on Sunday they came back with their cards and put them in the slot at the top of the box. They also told us what they did. It worked GREAT! They were excited to bring the cards back and I believe they learned something more by actually putting into practice what they learned in Sharing Time each Sunday. In the end, our house was built on the principles that will bring more happiness to family life. Ta da! And in the end, Scott was thrilled that my Saturday nights were not spent gluing a box and making my cards.
I'll be back with the Primary in just 2 weeks. Can't wait!
P.S. In the meantime, if anyone has any advice on how to make me and Brielle being in Primary together any better I would be glad to hear it. That part of it is a joke and not a funny one.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness. That is amazing, Alicia. We should have stayed in touch about how you were doing the whole thing. I love how you did it and how you gave them "homework" for each principle. You are awesome!
Our home has kind of dropped off with the program coming up. I didn't stick with it as well as you.
I'm sending this post to my counselors. They will die at your inventiveness!
WOW!! You and Laura are so smart and creative. Where were you two when I was teaching first grade and needed some great ideas for units, bulletin boards, programs, etc. Our sons are so lucky to have such talented wives.
I love the house! Great job! And, I am sure that it really added to the program. I wish we could have been there for the tool expo and your talk.
Regarding your PS...
I was going to give the obvious advice of using duct tape in strategic areas, but you have ignored that before. Sooooooo, the only solution I see is for you to be a Sunbeam and let Brielle run the Primary Opening Exercises. Children do need to know more about Princesses, and Beyonce's "All The Single Ladies" would be a very catchy rest song.
Post a Comment