Thursday, July 25, 2013

Boy's Visit

The family reunion in California took an unexpected turn north when everyone all of a sudden decided to come to Utah with us. Landon had called to let mom and dad know that he was being put in the bishopric in his ward, so mom, dad, Teresa and her boys all came home with us. We arrived home after driving all day on Saturday night. We dumped all of our luggage in front of the washing machine (including a 6 inch layer of sand) and were at Landon's ward with everyone at 9am the next morning. Right after church all the family came to our house for a big lunch together. Quite the welcome home.

I was so excited that Teresa decided to drive her boys up to Utah. My kids don't know her kids. They just don't see them enough. Teresa and I have never spent time just the two of us and our kids. This was such a great chance for me and Teresa to hang out together and to let the cousins get to know each other better. I was so happy to have them with us. 

We took the Hughes' fam up to Silver Lake for a little hike. Silver Lake is just a mile around and quite an easy, flat stroll. As we were walking around I noticed the sign leading off of our path up to Lake Solitude. I had been wanting to take that 3 mile hike up to this other lake with the kids for awhile. I asked Teresa if she thought they were up for it and she agreed to try it! We thought we would try it and maybe have to turn around if there was just too much whining. The biggest problem for me was that I had no back pack for Kate. So I carried her in my arms the whole way. She got wiggly, my arms got tired, but we all made it to Lake Solitude! I was so impressed with those hiking kids. Official!
They made it!!
Me and mine.
Brielle
Kate checking out the flowers.
Beautiful aspen forest that we passed through.
Zachary rock climbing and so happy.
Picnic lunch at the end. We were all relieved to make it here.
Brandon and Ava. Only 2 weeks apart.
We also spent Pioneer Day with the Hughes visitors. We started with the Pioneer Day Parade downtown with Landon, Sarah, kids and Tawna. It was a good one as usual, but not a single piece of candy was thrown to these poor children that were just waiting with their hands out for when the candy flinging might happen.
Pipers.
We went from the parade over to Temple Square to visit and see the exhibits in the visitors centers.
Brie, Ava and Zach. As soon as this pic was taken they fell into a wrestling heap right in front of the Christus and all the people. Nice.
Teresa and her boys.
They were so interested in all the Book of Mormon exhibits.
I love this pic. They were all given balloons in Deseret Book and then we walked them through the new City Creek. The balloons were actually disastrous. They kept blowing away and there were a lot of tired tears. This picture of them all watching the city through the big windows is pretty awesome to me though.
And then, as the grand finale of their visit - Teresa and I took the older kids to see the Pioneer Day fireworks at 10pm. They had a great time dancing and running around together with their glow in the dark decor. I think they were fans of Pioneer Day in Utah. So glad they came.

3 comments:

laura said...

Looks like a great time was had by all! I love the balloon picture too. I am married to a calm man, until a balloon enters the picture. Balloons make kids crazy, which makes Brian even crazier. Nice for a photo though!

Teresa said...

I love this post! It was total brilliance on my part to spend a week of our vacation in Utah. ;-) I loved being there and spending time with the Buchanans. We definitely made some great memories! (and I am shocked you left out the part about Kate's diaper on the hike. That was pretty memorable. LOL)

Sue said...

Looks like a wonderful week! I kept thinking Steven was camera shy until I remembered he wasn't there.