So, this happened a few weeks ago, but sad to say, it was done so nonchalantly I kind of just forgot to blog about it. How rude, huh? When really, it is a major accomplishment. A marathon. 26 miles!!! That is a big deal.
Scott had kind of mentioned the Utah Marathon (an inaugural marathon in Salt Lake City), but wasn't for sure yet if he was going to do it. He did not train at all. He went out one morning and just ran 18 miles and figured he could pull it off. The night before the marathon I asked him what he was planning and he said, "I'm going to go to sleep at the same time as normal. Wake up. And then just go run it." As if it was nothing. He did eat pasta that night.
In the morning, the kids and I went to see just how far he had made it. The course was all along his parent's and brother's neighborhoods. He could duck out to someone's couch anytime he wanted.
We waited up at the Capital building. I have to insert here what a perfect, fall day it was. It was chilly and crisp outside with spectacular colors on the leaves. A perfect day for a run. We waited and waited and watched and watched. Nothing. And then all three kids decided they needed to go to the bathroom in the outhouses. I was helping Zachary on the pot with one hand, holding Kate in the other arm, propping the door open with one foot and that is when I looked up the road and saw Scott coming our way. I started yelling to the kids, "He's coming! He's coming! Come out!" They all came scurrying out of their respective latrines to cheer on and and say hi to Scott as he went by at mile 23. He looked so good. So happy and feeling great. Amazing.
He went running away to finish the marathon and I looked up to see Zachary chasing after him down the road. He did wear what he calls his "fast, running shoes". I made him come back and he sobbed! So sad.The kids and I drove downtown to the finish line and got to the final turn before the finish just in time to see Scott coming. Brielle, Ava and Zachary jumped in to run him to the end. It really was so cute.
They also ran with a woman Scott met along the course and became best friends with. They ran most of the marathon together (Her 29th marathon. She looked about 60.) and talked together the whole time.
Our friend Dave Guzy came in just after Scott.We were so proud of Scott at the end of his 4th marathon. He says this was his favorite marathon. So happy for him.
6 comments:
Looks like the perfect marathon! Sleeping in your own bed before sounds great!
"I think I'll go run a marathon?" Is he for real? With NO PREPARATION? That just blows my mind. Well, we all have our own strengths, I guess. Sometimes I wake up with the thought, "I think I'll eat an entire cheesecake today." I'm certainly glad nobody is around to take pictures of THAT accomplishment, though.
Go Scott!
Congratulations on running the marathon. It looks like it was a perfect day, and the kids look so happy and proud of you at the end.
FOURTH??!! Wow! I hadn't realized it was his FOURTH!! That isI awesome! It does look like a perfect day for a run.
And Alicia, your shoes are adorable. :)
And Rand, that was hilarious.
I wrote awesome but apparently not clearly enough.
Post a Comment