Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Five . . . and a Half!

So, we started the tradition last year of having a half birthday party for Brielle. This gives her a chance to have a party with friends AND have it in the summer time even though her birthday is on Christmas. It was so fun last year, we went for it again on June 25 (actual half birthday).

I took Brie to the party store so that she could choose what kind of party she wanted and get invitations. She chose to do a luau/hula girl party. Why did she choose this over all the little girl party choices???? Because she saw that grass skirt and fell in love. She JUST HAD to be the little hula girl in a grass skirt and coconut shell bra!! I let her do a luau party and I even let her get a grass skirt. She then spent the next hour after leaving the store whining and complaining and crying and fighting with me because I wasn't going to let her wear a coconut bra. "But I CAN'T be a REAL hula girl if I am wearing a shirt or a swim suit!!!!" So, we went back to the store and returned the grass skirt. Brielle was an extremely unhappy 5 and a half year old!!

Lucky for us though, Brie's cousin Annabelle had a birthday luau party just days before ours and let us borrow/use a lot of the decorations they bought for it. Lucky again because it ALL came from the dollar store! Lucky three times because they had a grass skirt to loan us and Brie decided to be a hula girl that covered herself a little more. Yahoo!

Invitations went out and party day came. It was so easy and so much fun. All the girls were chanting at the end, "Best Party Ever!!" So happy.

I just did fruit (pineapple, mango, grapes, kiwi, strawberries) and pineapple juice. No candy at all. Success.
We started by watching hula dancers and then learning a hula dance to "Little Brown Gal". No, I am not a professional instructor in hula dancing.
Then . . . LIMBO!
We went outside for another game, hula hooping, swimming, slip n' sliding and jumping.
All the girls trying to "crack the egg" with Scott.
Now Scott's turn to "crack the egg". There was A LOT of squealing and giggling.
Still trying to find a place to put these new toys. We have Barbies EVERYWHERE!
Happy half birthday to the hula girl.

3 comments:

Hillary Corpuz said...

Very cute! Love the fruit and no candy!!

Teresa said...

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful party! I love the fruit idea, I love the picture of 10 girls in the kiddie pool, and I love the lesson Brielle got to learn when her skirt was taken back to the store. You go girl. :-)

Happy 5 and a half to Brielle!

Rama said...

What a beautiful day and a perfect party! So much fun for everyone.