Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Father's Day

Elder H. Burke Peterson wrote:

“I have often wondered what would happen if the method of introducing a father to his newborn child were different. Instead of a doctor coming out and saying, ‘It’s another girl,’ or ‘It’s another boy,’ how would we react if each time a child was born our Father in Heaven made this kind of introduction to the parents:

“‘Thank you for preparing this little body for the spirit I have created. Now, I present her to you for a season to care for. Please teach her of me and of my Son. I so much want her back with me some day. … Remember this: She is loving. She will respond to teaching. She wants to learn. Please treat her with respect. The road will not be easy. Some of the time it will be most difficult. I want to help you raise her. Please call on me often for advice and counsel. Together we can help her fulfill her purpose in the earth.’” (Ensign, Jan. 1973, p. 115.)



This Father's Day seemed like an extra special one to me. I felt so very lucky and blessed to be married to a man that I really love, that I am really happy with and that is such a wonderful father to our kids. I'm thankful to have kids and to be parents together.

After four years in this house, the man finally got his wish come true . . . a ceiling fan for our room. Now he just needs to learn to install it. Landon's house is going to be the "practice house".
Can you guess who just endured 2 hours of nursery and is ready for an afternoon nap?
I was also touched when I thought about the miracle of my dad in the past couple of months. It is one of the biggest blessings of my life to have my father alive and getting healthier by the day. He has been an amazing influence in my life. He and my mom have taught me to be who I am. I was so completely blessed in the "goodly parents" department. I'm grateful every day that I was raised in their home. And I can't say how happy I am that my kids will have a relationship and memories with "grandpa".We had Fred (and Rama, Brian, Rachel and kids) over for Father's Day dinner. We also spent last night with them at the girl's recital. It is ALWAYS nice to be with them. Fred is so good and loving to me. He always greets me with a hug. He wants to talk and discuss as if he really enjoys my company. He is a good, good man. Partners in crime. Get these two together and it is trouble. They are hilarious.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

What a wonderful quote. That was great to read. So glad Scott had a good Father's Day and got what he's always wanted. :-) He is a wonderful father to your kids and I am so happy he is a part of our family and makes you so happy. He is just what we were looking for for you. :-)

Alicia said...

Teresa - What a nice comment. Thank you. Isn't it great that we each found someone that fits us and our children so nicely. I'm just as happy that you have Steve and those 5 boys.

Sue said...

I love that quote! And I love each of the father's in our lives! What a wonderful day you had!

Rama said...

That is a very nice quote. Thanks, Alicia, for marrying Scott and making him so happy and for also giving us those three precious grandchildren. We love having you in our family.