Monday, January 25, 2010

With Love, From Laura

I've been wanting to do this post for a while now, but had to finish up the holiday festivities first. Yes, it took me this long. I want to tell about two very special people and the incredibly generous things they have done for me recently. They are both Laura. Laura, my sister and Laura, my sister-in-law. Actually, when I started thinking about it, every Laura that I know is very kind, genuine and nice. Maybe I need to name a daughter "Laura".

First, my sister Laura. This Laura has certainly changed from the teenager Laura that I grew up with. I think she is an amazing mother. She knows just the right advice to give in any situation. She is so fun to be around. You know your name is safe with her - in that she will not talk badly about other people. She is very giving. Her family is the most important to her. She is nice to everyone. She was especially nice to me when I wanted to decorate Zach's room.

I decided I wanted to do Zach's room as a baseball/Red Sox room. There were no bumpers that were Red Sox colors, so I sent swatches of fabric to Laura and she made him an awesome blanket (Scott and I both agree it is the best she has made) and a crib bumper. I know it took a lot of time to go to stores and get the right ribbon and minkee fabric. I also know it took a lot of time to sew the two items and I soooooooooooooooooo appreciate it. We love the blanket. It's soft and just very cool looking. And we love the crib bumper and how it made the room come together. Here is Zach's room. Go Red Sox!P.S. Scott was the nice one who put up the wall paper border. And don't you love my red rocker? I bought it on Craigslist. Finally, I have a rocker!


Second is my sister-in-law, Laura. I always wish that this Laura lived closer. I think we would be great friends. I also wish her kids were closer to my kids. Laura is married to Scott's brother. She also is an amazing mother. When I say amazing, I really mean out of this world AMAZING! I see and read about the things she does with her kids and it always inspires me to try to be a better mom. I always think, "Hmm. I should do that." or "That is a good idea, I'll do that with my kids." She is a loving and supportive wife. She is someone who happily goes about doing more than I could even imagine possible in a day. She lives in tight quarters with three small kids and I never hear her complain, she just makes it work by being organized and happy with what she has. I have so much respect for her. She is also a Primary President and is wonderful. I know she has a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. She seems as though she is ready and willing to take on any challenge. And this Christmas, as a gift to us, she did.

Laura and Alan had our family for Christmas to give a gift to. She never asked what we wanted and really surprised us with what she made for us. I was actually tearing up as I pulled these out of the box this morning to take pictures of them. She put so much work into this gift. For us. Wow. I am so grateful. She sewed the costumes of the nativity for us. Every year at Christmas when I was growing up, we acted out the nativity story out of the Bible. I LOVE this tradition. I always want to do it with our kids. We've had nothing to dress them up in. We're overflowing with princess dress ups, but not so much shepherds. So now, because of Laura, we have all the costumes to act out this little play at Christmas time. They are beautiful too. The fabrics are great and they all have head pieces and accessories. Can you believe she did that for us? Thank you so much!

Wise Men
Mary, Joseph and swaddling clothes for baby Jesus.Shepherd and Angel.

7 comments:

Sue said...

What a wonderful tribute to two great, talented people! Very nice, and I agree, both things are so generous.

Janet said...

I'm proud to say that second Laura is my daughter!

And I love your nursery. I'm a big fan of red, white and blue!

laura said...

That is one cute boy bedroom! Go Laura!

I'm so glad that you love the gift. I had fun making it and imagining your cute kids (and mine with them) acting out the best Christmas story ever each year in December.

Love you!

Teresa said...

What an awesome post! I love to hear about other peoples wonderful qualities and awesome talents.
Laura #1 does such a great job with making those blankets, and that is awesome that she helped your room come together so well.
and Laura #2 Wow! What a perfect gift idea. I am so envious of those costumes. How thoughtful she was to think of that, and spend the time on them.
I am glad you have such wonderful people around you.

bskin25 said...

Wow. What a sweet surprise.

Zac's room is awesome! I can't even remember the pink on the wall. And I love that in the pictuer of the whole room, Zac is a prop on his changing table.

And I would literally give my right arm for those nativity costumes. Laura- Do you have patterns, or did you make them up?? I must get started if I want them to happen by next Christmas.
laura

Kam said...

Wow! Awesome. The red rocker, the red rocker! Soooo cute. And the blanket, and the change table, and the wall paper, and the bumper, and especially the adorable baby boy ... I zoomed in to take a closer look at him, he really is just so scrumptious. Wish I could be there to hold him!

Those nativity costumes are sooo cute. What a perfect Christmas gift. Love it! And I have always loved the way you give such sweet and perfect praise and appreciation -- you can tell you really, really love your Lauras. Makes ME want to name a daughter Laura. ;)

laura said...

Laura,

I actually did buy a pattern, but just used it for a basic shape for the tunics and vests. It's much more elaborate than I'm capable of sewing. It was simplicity--I'm sure you could google "simplicity nativity" and find it. I actually bought mine on ebay for much cheaper than it would have cost in a store.

Happy sewing!
Laura