Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Primary President

So, last Thursday evening I was asked to be our ward's (congregation at church) Primary President (leader over the children 18 months to 12 years old). I knew it was coming. I just knew, but really didn't want to think about it or admit it. I was so happy being in the Young Women's presidency and REALLY didn't want to leave those girls. He asked me and from that minute on I was so excited!

And a little scared to death. Choosing the other women to work with me was a completely miraculous and amazing experience and I am SO grateful for it. That experience changed me, strengthened me and made me more excited and a little less scared. The reason I am nervous is because I have not set foot in Primary since I left when I was 12 years old. I've never taught a class, never helped a child with a talk, never been in the doors. Seriously. So, I've got a lot to learn.

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE any and all tips, hints, good ideas, thoughts, tricks that worked that you have. Please share them. I've had a million ideas in my mind since Sunday and I really can't wait to get going on them. I really want to hear from your experiences too. Thanks so much.

11 comments:

Buchanan House said...

Congratulations! You'll be a wonderful Primary President. You are good at everything. --Rama

Janet said...

That's fun that you and Laura will be Primary Presidents together. My Mom, sister and I are all RS Secretaries right now. I just left YW in November and I still really miss them! I'm sure you'll do a great job!

laura said...

Wow. Congratulations. You are perfect for that calling. I don't have much experience in that department but Laurel is a pro. I will ask her to send you some info. She is always doing wonderful things and coming up with great ideas. Good luck with it all.

Jeni said...

I think I left this on your facebook, but sugardoodle.net is a great resource for everything, sharing times especially. If you want, call me sometime and I'll share with you what I know....which arguably isn't much, but I was 2nd counselor in the Primary presidency when I first moved back to Tuscaloosa, and now I'm president, so I've been around the block, so to speak. I too had an amazing experience calling my counselors. One of them I didn't even know at all, but I knew she was the right person for it. It's an interesting mantle that comes with our calling. You're going to feel it for lots of different things. Congrats! You will do great!

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yay! What a fun calling. I am happy you get to go in to primary. I have two quick ideas, and more if you want them. I always like to learn an article of faith every month. Just as part of your opening exercises everyone repeats the AofF for the month. I also LOVE to sing them. They are so much easier to learn that way. After you say it, then sing it. :-)
Also, I was having a problem with reverence with my primary (who doesn't) and really put some thought in to what to do about it. I feel like I had some inspiration with this one, and this is what I did. One sharing time talk about the importance of being reverent at church. Then draw a big hand on the chalk board. Each finger is going to represent a word. So write a word in each finger and talk about what they mean. My words were: Respect, Learn, Reverence, Love, and Listen. All reasons we come to church. Love for example is we love the Lord and our teacher, and the Lord, and our teacher love us. That is why we want to be reverent.
From then on whenever they are getting loud hold up your hand, just like they do in scouts, and the kids hold up their hands too which means they are promising to think about the 5 words.
K, long enough. If I have more I will send them via email. Good Luck

Roger said...

You will do a great job.
My suggestion is still duct tape.

Kam said...

Rama's right -- you'll do great, and you're good at everything. How exciting for Brie, too! Fun times ahead.

My top suggestions:
-- Good news minute (just like they do in many Relief Societies) is GREAT in primary opening exercises. It gets their attention, lets them talk about all those things you DON'T want them to talk about later, and helps you get to know them and what's important to them. So, in a larger primary, pick 5 people to share each week, by raise of hand. It takes 2-3 minutes, tops, but can be really fun.
-- Make it a goal for YOU to try to feel the spirit every week at primary. This is tricky sometimes, with so much going on and so much administrative business. But if YOU can actually feel the spirit, it's more likely they're feeling it too.
-- Delegate, and learn to trust those who work with you. Really trust them, and trust that the Lord will help them fulfill their callings just like He's helping you.
-- Keep a good calendar (time put your spreadsheet skills to use again), with everyone's responsibilities outlined.
-- Use your budget for fun, memorable activities -- things kids will really remember years down the road. That's hard, but with prayer, I'm sure you'll find great ways to make things memorable.

That's all for now. Good luck. We need a real chat on the phone, I think!

xx kam

Aaron and Jen said...

Congrats on your calling! You are just what our Primary needs! I can't wait! You're gonna do awesome!

A, M and S said...

You haven't been in Primary since you were 12 and I haven't left primary since I got married.

Our last president was fabulous. She loved the children and they knew it. Every week as they were sitting to start sharing time, she would shake everyone's hand and look them in they eyes and ask how they were doing. Ariana thought it was silly, but she really got a feel for how the kids were doing. She would also call (or split with counselors to call) everyone who wasn't there on Sunday. Sometimes it would would be "Hi Buchanans, I know you are on vacation but wanted you to know I missed you today." She exuded love for the kids. And they could feel it.

Best wishes! R

Turner said...

You are going to be amazing!!! Have fun.