February 1 was a glorious day. It was warmish (above freezing). The sky was clear, blue and sunny. The mountains were breath taking. Brielle had a friend over for a fun play date of making Shrinky Dinks.
And our friends called that afternoon to invite us and other friends to join them in a suite they got for the night at the Jazz game. Sweet!
Then that fateful Saturday morning came. Everyone had their list of Saturday morning jobs to do and were working hard with the "cleaning CD" music blasting. Scott came to me and told me he thought he should go play church basketball with the Elders Quorum. He said it was the last game of the season (he hadn't played any other game), the guys had been texting him to come all morning and he felt like he should support them. So off he went.And he came home with a very hurt knee. He got "tangled up with some other guy" and they both went down. We weren't sure how bad it was so he continued helping with Saturday morning chores (limping around). But later, he was getting into the van, put some pressure on it and completely collapsed in the seat. He was in intense, excruciating pain. It was so scary. Neither of us knew what had just happened and what to do about it. We went to Instacare which was a big mistake! They said, take some ibuprofen and go see an Orthopedist.
So, on Monday morning we visited the Orthopedist and then an MRI and discovered that Scott had torn his MCL in his knee. He also completely blew out his ACL. He will have surgery February 20 to have a donor ACL replace his. He'll have to do some pretty intense physical therapy and the recovery will take about 9 months.
For now he has a huge brace on his knee and kind of hobbles around the house until his leg hurts too bad or gets swollen and then he has to be down again. I was upset at first about how much this was going to cost (we switched to a high deductible plan last month). Then I was sooooooooooooooo sad that we couldn't go cross country skiing or snow shoeing or hiking for a long time. Now I am realizing that this injury means so much more. It's hard for him to sit all day at work so he feels uncomfortable, sore, in pain, swollen and frustrated all day. It's hard to walk around or go up and down the stairs so he just can't help with the kids and house as much. It's just a bummer all around.
At least he has his Princess pillow. It's the only pillow to elevate him properly. And it's cute and soft.
I feel so bad for him. Poor Scott. It just hurts so bad and he can't do anything. We keep saying though - at least it can be fixed. It will be okay, eventually.
5 comments:
This post is just depressing. I'm happy to see that the princess pillow has come on handy though.
I have been anxiously awaiting for this post!! You're right; it will be alright eventually, but it's really gonna suck in the mean time! Let me help how I can...do you need help with kids when he has his surgery? My mom will be in town that week, so I could totally come down and help! Lemme know!
Oh my! This sounds terrible. I am so sorry that he is in so much pain. And from church ball?! I guess the stories they say about that are true. :-( I hope the surgery at least takes the pain away. So sad.
This is very sad. I am sure that everything will go well, but it is sad for now. We are praying for you.
We are so sorry and pray that the surgery will make your knee as good as new. Take is easy and give it enough time to heal properly. Love you! Mom and dad.
Post a Comment