Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Happy Valentine's Day

Our Valentine's Day was a lovely day. Perfectly lovely. 

We started the festivities a week early at our Playgroup Valentine's Party. I hosted this one. We knew there were going to be a TON of kids so I opted for the church instead of my house. It is a good thing! There were so many kids and so many moms. It was quite the party. I have almost no pictures because I was running around the whole time from playing Valentine's Twister to "Do You Love Your Neighbor" to making Valentines with stickers, markers and doilies to frosting and decorating sugar cookies. 
Valentine's Day came. The kids (especially Brielle) were REALLY into it. They had decorated the house in hearts, made MANY valentines and were so excited for this big holiday. In the morning they came downstairs to find a Valentine from Mommy and Daddy. Kites! The kids got to start the day out sweet - Pink Cherry Pop Tarts and Pink Strawberry milk for breakfast. They were happy and quite shocked too - all that delicious pink SUGAR for breakfast???!!!
Brielle went off to school super excited to pass out all the Valentine's she had been working on.  In the beginning, the girl had high hopes of choosing a special gift at the store for each and every person in her class. When I told her that wasn't going to happen she said, " I don't want to just give them candy that they will eat and throw away. I want to give them something that they will treasure and cherish forever!" So she hand painted a card for everyone. (I added a heart shaped ring pop for the kids who might not "treasure" a painted Valentine, but really just wanted the candy.)

The rest of us spent the day at home painting a card for Scott to go with his gift - a huge heart shaped pillow (to rest his knee on) and a big bag full of snacks and treats for while he was lying around in bed after surgery.


And eating heart shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.
And playing with the sucker lips we got.
Scott got home from work just as the babysitter arrived for us to go out on a Valentine's date. He brought with him the best Valentine's gift he has ever given me. Seriously. A card and this awesome box of chocolates. He picked exactly what they put inside. Some of my favorites - chili powder chocolate truffles, salted caramel chocolates, rocky road bar, etc. I hugged it tight and took it in the movie theater with me. We went to see Safe Haven. Scott and I ate chocolates, snuggled together and watched a really good romantic movie. I can't think of anything more perfect.
It actually did get better though. We chose a restaurant close by - Tin Roof Grill. They had a fantastic menu especially for Valentine's evening. We shared an appetizer of Spanish Tortilla and a Mushroom Artichoke soup. Then a dinner of Beef Wellington. I had always wanted to try beef wellington and it was delicious. All of it was delicious. We talked and ate and thoroughly enjoyed our evening out. Then toward the end of our dinner the waitress stopped by to say that a man that had been sitting at the next table over with his family had already taken care of our whole bill!!!! Tip and all!! He was already gone. We were so surprised and so grateful. What a nice thing to do for us. We spent the rest of the night talking about how we would do the same someday. It was such an unexpected and really nice surprise!! It made an already very sweet and special Valentine's Day even better. I'm so thankful to be surrounded by so much LOVE!

No comments: