Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Year's Polar Bear Swim

The New Year started off with a bang . . . and then January went downhill from there, but we'll discuss that later. 

On New Year's Eve we had no where to go and nothing to do so we decided to go out to a BBQ dinner. Driving on our way to the restaurant we came upon a young woman (early 20's) who was fighting with a man on the side of the road as he tried to force her into his car. She was yelling, "No! Leave me alone!" and trying to get away. It looked scary. Scott pulled over anyway and I talked to her. I asked if she was okay or if she wanted to get in our car. She got in and we drove her to her sister's apartment. She explained that the guy was her boyfriend and they had gotten into a fight. It was sad to see, but we were happy we were able to help her get away from the situation (at least for the moment). 

Dinner was great. We were served tons of BBQ meat on a trash can lid! Kids loved it. We loved it. We were home by 7pm. And through the magic of YouTube, at 8pm we were watching the ball drop and all the celebrations of New Years (from 2012). Yahoo!!! The kids went running outside to bang pots and pans, they shot of poppers, they saw the neighbors fire works and felt they had a real party. To make it a more authentic New Year's celebration, Zachary then brought me the pie tin he had been banging full of throw up saying, "I threw up in my pan." They all went to bed and then Scott and I got to have our own night of watching a movie and ringing in the New Year with sparkling mango lemonade. That my friends, is the way to do it!
New Year's Day started with the rose parade and then a New Year's Polar Bear Swim and the rec center. It was so fun to be in the warm water and swimming when it was so freezing cold outside. Great way to spend the day!
Brielle and Ava were quite concerned about this girl's modesty. Sorry, Kate. It really was all I could find in your size in January. Thank your Auntie Laura. I think you look adorable!
 Zachary jumping into that deep, deep water. What a dare devil!
 
Happy 2013!

1 comment:

Kam said...

I love the baby bikini and the pool party. Too fun! And the New Years Eve celebration sounds like it turned out okay. You forgot to add that you had a PRE-New Years Eve celebration, on New Year's Eve-Eve, with the Bishops, Easy Cheese, and Randilicious on Skype!! I think you need to edit your post, please, to include this important detail. ;)

About the girl you picked up on the roadside... I'm so glad for her that you came along, and that you were brave enough to stop and get involved. And that she was brave enough to get in with you so you could help her. What a sad story. Bet she didn't have the greatest New Years Eve.