Sunday, January 22, 2012

All About Me

Thursday I went to the doctor for my 34 week appointment. All is well, as far as he is concerned. The baby's heart beat sounds good. There is plenty of movement. No contractions or anything else concerning. We had a good little talk and I was on my way.

This is the end of what is most likely my last pregnancy. If this baby follows the good example of her older brother and sisters she will be here in about three weeks. What I am feeling right now?

Really big. Honestly. It's getting ridiculous. I have officially gained 45 pounds. Granted, I completely enjoyed myself with Halloween candy and then Christmas treats without being careful in any kind of way, but otherwise I haven't been eating all that differently than before. But, I sure have put on the weight.

What makes it worse is that there are three different experiences (one at Scott's work party, one at ballet class and one at Kindermusik class) where I was talking to another woman who looked BARELY pregnant, just a tiny little bump, and asking when she was due . . . well, wouldn't you know it . . . the same time as me. I am like three times the size of these women. Honestly, they are just starting to show and I started at about 5 weeks. Agggghhh! People have seriously looked at me and said, "Whooaaaa! How much longer?" I don't ever tell them the true due date.

This is me this same time last year:
This is me today (You see what I'm sayin?):

Carpal Tunnel. This has been the worst part of pregnancy every time. It might not seem like such a big deal. I actually kind of forget what it feels like until I'm pregnant again and it comes back with a vengeance.

I cannot sleep. I wear my carpal tunnel braces, which help, but I still wake up all night with arms and hands that are throbbing in pain and tingling. I can't put any pressure on my arms or shoulders, which is tricky when you are only supposed to lie on your side. It takes me a good five minutes to get settled into position. I have a pillow tucked in front of me and behind me. I keep the lower half of my body sideways and then twist the upper half to try and lie flat on my back. It is like a three ring circus at night as I try to switch sides because my hips start to hurt so bad. Poor Scott.

During the day, the carpal tunnel makes it extremely painful and actually quite impossible to: hold the phone, brush my teeth, write with a pen or pencil, make a fist, stir food in a pot, cut food for the kids, do the girls hair, wash my own hair, hold the steering wheel to drive the car and pretty much anything else that requires small motor skills. At least I know this will go away.

Here I am with my nifty braces that actually SAVE MY LIFE:

Sick. So, I've never had to be sick while pregnant before, but this week changed all of that. And it is not a good time. I started out with a little cold, not a big deal. That cold somehow changed into a whole night (1am - 9am) of intense stomach pain and throwing up anything that I tried to eat or drink. I thought I was going to die. It was the most awful night of my life. Scott woke up at about 5:30am and gave me a blessing. I didn't throw up again and was finally able to rest a little bit. I was blessed enough to have a good husband that then took the day off of work to let me be sick in bed while he got kids ready for school, drove to school, took girls to ballet, put Zachy down for a nap, cleaned and organized the closet and junk drawers, made chicken cordon bleu for dinner and folded laundry . . . all while bringing me toast and gatorade and Red Box movies. What a man! Lucky him, he got to continue doing that for another four days . . . .

That sickness (whatever it was) then turned immediately into a really bad cold. My cough went deep into my chest, I'm now congested, achy and have a sore throat. All of this (plus the carpal tunnel) is making for some truly sleepless nights. This cold then hit Scott, Brielle, Ava and Zachary. Oh, plus ear infections for two of those. So, we are on day number 5 of the whole family being confined to the house and sick. We are going CRAZY! Scott actually went skipping and smiling out the door and off to work today.

Nervous. I'll admit, I'm getting a bit nervous about having four kids. Especially when all of those kids are age 6 and under. Some people tell me having number 4 is not that big of a deal because, "you've lost control already anyway." And other people say that number 4 is what put them totally over the edge. I know we'll adjust just like we have with number 2 and number 3, but I can foresee some hectic, chaotic, noisy, stressful times with having four kids home with me all day.

Excited. I am really excited to meet this baby girl. It is a special thing to have her just to myself right now. I am the only one that feels her move around all the time. I'm the only one who knows when she has hiccups. She feels very much like she is just mine. Soon, I'll share her with everyone. I'm excited to hold her and especially excited to see who/what she looks like. I am curious to know her personality and just who she is. Excited that baby Kate will soon be here.
P.S. Scott may in no way and at no time use this write up to remind me of the woes of pregnancy to further plead his case for a vasectomy.

4 comments:

Timo said...

Wow, we hope you feel better soon, Alicia! We are excited for you and baby Kate, too. I 100% hear Scott on the P.S. line about a 4th and final pregnancy. I think we might officially follow the Buchanan family in that sense. Good luck!

Katie said...

I feel so bad you have been so under the weather.

It is hard being pg that's for sure.

You still sound so positive through all of this.

I hope these next few weeks go well for you.
Best to you with delivery.

You'll do fine with your 4 kids. Just fine.
Some days are really long, and other moments are magical, and somehow you carry on.

I got crazy busy with Dec. and then after the holidays noticed your address for a christmas card. Now I'm embarrassed to send one so late.

Anyway, please take care, and enjoy your new little one when it arrives!

Kam said...

First of all. Chicken cordon bleu?! holy smokes. what a man. Kudos to Scooty!! And I'm glad to hear you're doing better now. whew!

Second, oh my goodness, the carpal tunnel sounds terrible. I think that may rival the weeks of nausea and puking that some of us go through? May even be worse... especially if you can't sleep. poor thing! ouch!!

Third. Nervous... yeah. I bet! I see the chaos of THREE and have a really hard time imagining what a fourth would/will do to the mix!?? Wow.

And fourth... we're also soooo excited for you. I bet it's going to be so fun to meet baby Kate. I hope she waits for a February birthday, and that everything goes well with your delivery.

Fifth. Not too big. I'm serious... I mean, you're wearing white in those pictures. But I bet you do feel big. And it will all soon pass. right? And you look great!

Teresa said...

I can't believe the baby will be here in February!! Dang, I lost all track of time on that one. How exciting, and wonderful that it is almost over. Your sickness sounds awful and I am so glad it is over and that Scott got you through it. He does do an awesome job of being Mr. Mom, but nothing compares to the real Momma.
I am so excited to see pictures of beautiful Kate.