Thursday, August 27, 2009

Our Summer Vacation . . . . At Home

This year we made no plans to go on a big vacation. The last two years have been big ones (Europe 1 month, Boston 3 weeks) and I'm feeling pretty pregnant. So, lucky for us, the vacationers came to us. We had a GREAT time with everyone here at home.

My sister, Jessica, arrived from New York City. We were SO EXCITED to have her hang out with us. We don't see her very often and she is great to be with. Ava is still asking about her. We went up the canyon to roast hot dogs, went to the Thanksgiving Point gardens, died laughing watching Blades of Glory and watched her go in and out the door to see all of her other people. Man, I wish she lived closer. She even overlapped a day when my other sister, Laura, arrived with her family. We had breakfast at Silver Fork Lodge up Big Cottonwood Canyon and then hiked/walked around Silver Lake. Then Jess was off to the airport and back to crazy life in NYC.Ava determined to get in with the ducks.
Brie in her own personal musical. She was singing and dancing all over the boardwalk.
Ava climbed in the stroller to play peek-a-boo with baby Lila. Talk about a love affair, Ava LOVES baby Lila!
Every day with the Skinners was packed and I was not the best picture taker. If you've ever tried to take a picture of my girls you would know why. It's like pulling teeth!

One day was Wheeler Farm to see all of the animals and go on a tractor ride. My sister-in-law, Sarah, and kids were able to join us here. Aiden, Anne, Ava and Brie are feeding ducks.That evening was a walk (or a chase the kids around) around Temple Square.
One day was spent at the Ancient Life Museum. Davin loved it. I think my kids were the wrong age and gender, but they had a good ol' time playing in the sand.

All the cousins (except the Hughes fam)!!Ava had a hard time being ok with her hands being sandy.What you don't know is that Brie accidentally peed on the floor right here. She just couldn't tear herself away from the fun I guess. I was shocked. She hasn't had an accident in a year and then there she is peeing on the museum floor. She had to go commando because I had no back up clothes.Kea giving a great scared look running from JAWS!And Brie, happy as a clam sitting bare bummed in a new sand pit. Gross. Lila saved the day with her diaper cover up that turned into panties.Our last day was a hike up to Cecret Lake in Little Cottonwood Canyon. It was still beautiful. The kids did GREAT on this hike, especially baby Lila. Scott had a new audience for his tutorial on how to skip a rock.
The hikers!
It really was so fun to have everyone here. We miss them. Now we are just waiting for the next round of visitors when my parents and sister show up on Tuesday. Yahoo!

8 comments:

Jeni said...

That shark picture scared me when I scrolled down through it! I'm suprised Brie didn't pee her pants there!!

Every time I look at your activities around where you live, I get more and more hopeful for an assingment in SLC. SO much fun stuff to do and pretty places to hike and enjoy nature. I can hope. Maybe we'll get lucky!

BTW, we found out we're having another girl! Ethan is soooo disappointed. He REALLY wanted another brother. Maybe next time!

Miss you guys!

Sarah A said...

Now I'm sad we didn't go hiking with you. Darn those grown up jobs that require Landon to work FIVE DAYS A WEEK!! It's killing me. I love the pictures of the cousins, I'll have to steal a copy of it. Good times!

Teresa said...

Fun, Fun! I just wrote on Laura's post how much I would love to come hang out in Utah with you and whoever else comes for a visit. I LOVE all the fun stuff you guys have to do. Summer in the South is totally Boring because no one will do any outdoor activities. Utah is a great place to be.

Sue said...

That looks like a wonderful vacation, let's repeat the best stuff next week. I want a picture of the cousins, too. And, I want our family vacation to be in Utah next year. Since no one will go to Zions, please suggest places. Does Ava ever smile in pictures, she doesn't look too happy in the stroller with Lila.

Roger said...

I was thrilled to see the pictures of our family having fun together.
I was even more thrilled that "Open For Discussion: Boys Names" has been closed.
Charles it is then, right?

Teresa said...

Oh...I want the picture of the cousins too. Even though I am jealous we are not in it. I want it for my picture table.

Kam said...

Wow! It's so fun to see pictures of all your family. Looks like such a wonderful time. Tell Jessica she looks gorgeous. Can't believe how fast all those cousins are growing up. Even Lila, I mean, wasn't she born last week or something? seems like!!

So, is that a little ponytail on the top of Ava's head? I LOVE it! So darling. She finally has enough hair to do something fun. yay! And, there's one picture of Brie digging in the dinosaur sand that I think is just precious. She's looking at the camera with such an innocent little look on her face, and those blondie curls. Cute, cute cute.

Miss you. so very much. Truth be told, I'm glad your familiy came, but I'll also be glad when it's all over, so we can be phone friends again. yay. I'll be in Morgan, UT all next week... wanna come visit me -- and 6 kids?? er, wait, sounds like you have more family, right? well, give a call when you can. And in the meantime Enjoy!!

laura said...

Kamber- that look on Brie's face is not "innocence". It's discomfort. The girl is digging around in a sand pit wearing NO underwear!
The trip really was amazing. Thank you, thank you, thank you for running wild through Utah with us. It was so much fun. We're ready to come back.